Wednesday 14 November 2012

The Strike

You wouldn't believe what happened today!  There was a General Strike in all of Spain!  When I arrived at school this morning the kids told me that probably no teachers would come to work today! Yippee!



So, there I was, just relaxing and looking forward to a great day when all of a sudden the door opened and Rafa, the Spanish teacher, came in.  He stopped, looked at me angrily and started talking. I don't understand Spanish yet but from the tone of his voice I knew exactly what he was saying.  He was saying, "Sit properly and open your book!"  Oh, oh.  I didn't get off to a good start with Rafa, did I?  I'll have to work hard in his class and learn Spanish quickly so that I can make a better impression on him.

Guess what!  In Spain the kids call their teachers by their first name!   Isn't that funny?  They don't even know their teachers' surnames.  So my teachers are Rafa, Marisa, Toñi (isn't that "ñ" a cool letter?!), Marta and Zuzanna.  I haven't met the others yet.

Can you believe that this afternoon my new friends were fighting over who was going to take me home tonight?!  I felt a little bad that they were arguing, but I also felt good because they made me feel important.  Tonight I'm staying at Sylvia's and tomorrow at Kiko's.

Great!  I can hear Sylvia calling me for dinner.  I'm really hungry.  Over here in Spain they eat dinner at 9:00 at night and sometimes even later.  This is going to be hard for me to get used to!

I'll write more tomorrow.
Scaffy




No comments:

Post a Comment